Sunday, August 3, 2014

Homemade Almond Milk!!!

...Over the winter months, we switched AR to almond milk at home. She had this ongoing cough so we tried to eliminate dairy as best we could. I don't really think it made any difference but we've continued to just do almond milk at home and then she drinks regular milk everywhere else.

When I saw the opportunity to try out an Everyday Kitchen Essentials Nut Milk Bag, I thought it would be fun to try to make our own almond milk. Other than blowing up my blender (operator error!), it was fairly easy and tasted delicious!

First you need one cup almonds. I used this whole can.

Soak them overnight in a bowl of unfiltered water.

Other supplies needed (I improvised so just pretend): Cinnamon, sea salt, maple syrup, agave.

After the almonds soak overnight, strain and blend with 4 cups of filtered water on high for 5 minutes.

Eh...blender broken so we moved everything to the Magic Bullet which we just had to do in parts.

Once well blended, dump blender into nut bag and strain.

Squeeze nut bag like, well, like you're milking a cow. This was really easy but I feel like I should have done something with the leftover nut mess. Or maybe I wouldn't have had as much nut mess had I done it in a blender and blended longer...

Pour back into blender and mix with couple tablespoons of maple syrup, squeeze of agave, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and a pinch of salt. Blend for one minute and enjoy! I got two large glasses out of it!

This was definitely sweeter than the almond milk AR was used to so of course she drank this down quickly! Overall the nut bag was super easy to use and did a great job keeping the nut mess out of our milk. The only thing was that I didn't know how to wash it??? I rinsed under sink water then put in a bowl to soak and laid out to dry. I doubt we'll be making our own almond milk on a regular basis but it was still a fun activity and something we'd do on special occasions.

I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments :