Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Our Village

I've started referencing "our village" here and there on the blog so I figured I'd explain it a bit. We've all heard the saying before, "It takes a village to raise a child." As a single mom, I depend heavily on "our village." Here's a run down of "our village" in no particular order...

Matt-This one seems a bit obvious as we are the parents of said child that we are raising. It's difficult enough to raise a child under the same roof, try doing it under two! We struggle, we aren't perfect, but we both understand the end goal that it's up to us to raise her to be a strong, independent woman.

Our Families-Luckily, we have family close by! Matt's mom takes her to school and picks her up most days for us so we don't have to pay childcare. Matt's sister is literally less than five minutes from us to help out in a jam. My mom is moving back to Missouri and will be about fifteen minutes from us so it'll be nice having that help, especially with my work schedule. My sister has driven forty minutes out of her way to help with AR. My dad is always a phone call away to answer any question I have. We have been blessed to have such loving and supportive families.

Co-Workers-These people deserve an award! They get to hear it all, the good, the bad, the ugly. They've passed on clothes to AR, which are always in tip top shape then my kid wears something once and it's stained for life-they're like ninja moms when it comes to that. They've helped me through my darkest times, they've calmed my nerves when there was a lice outbreak at school, and they make sure to let me know I'm not alone... ever.

Friends-When life gets hard, your true friends shine through, everything from simple texts to see how we're doing, to inviting us over when our weekend ends up free due to a cancelled flight thanks to a hurricane, to coming over for dance parties in ice storms with salt for our driveway, brand new shoes for AR, playdates in a pinch, and the list goes on! There is no way I would be able to make it without the amazing friends in our lives that are more like family.

Strangers-What? How can strangers be part of our village? I have said it before and I will say it again and again every time it's proven to be true... people are placed in our lives, on our paths at the exact time for a reason. Whether it be the Yankees fan that sat next to us at spring training and gave us his Cardinals popcorn helmet that turned into our Easter egg basket at the hotel the next morning or the random grandparents and their granddaughter that we met over our spring break trip, they were placed in our lives for a reason and they are part of our village.

Raising a child is tough, especially when said child is a sassy four-year-old going on fourteen, but when we have a village like ours, I know we're on the right track. To those of you in our village, saying thank you will never be enough for the impact you've had on our lives, but thank you nonetheless. To those not in our village, I'm sure our paths will cross when they are supposed to and so, I'll say thank you in advance.

#lovemyAR #ourvillage

village

1 comment :

Julie said...

Yay for your mom moving back :)