Friday, February 17, 2012

"Change of Heart" by Jodi Picoult...

...I recently finished "Change of Heart" by Jodi Picoult. This was only my second Picoult book and I was pleasantly happy, read on for my review.
Summary: "One moment June Nealon was happily looking forward to years full of laughter and adventure with her family, and the next, she was staring into a future that was as empty as her heart. Now her life is a waiting game. Waiting for time to heal her wounds, waiting for justice. In short, waiting for a miracle to happen.

For Shay Bourne, life holds no more surprises. The world has given him nothing, and he has nothing to offer the world. In a heartbeat, though, something happens that changes everything for him. Now, he has one last chance for salvation, and it lies with June's eleven-year-old daughter, Claire. But between Shay and Claire stretches an ocean of bitter regrets, past crimes, and the rage of a mother who has lost her child."

Review: Shay has been convicted of the murder of June's daughter and husband. He's been given the death sentence. While on death row, he learns that June's other daughter, Claire, needs a heart transplant and he's made up his mind to donate his heart after he's executed. However, June must first accept his heart and his lawyer must fight for him to be able to die in a manner to still be able to donate his organs. When this becomes public and many other things that happen, many people begin to think he's the Messiah.

This book, as the other Picoult book I read, was written from many perspectives...June, Shay's priest, his lawyer, his neighbor in jail. I really enjoyed this book and I like the different perspectives because you don't get tired of the same person telling the story and you get to hear all sides. However, with so many different narrators, there was also a lot of side stories going on. When I tried to tell my mom about the book, especially how people think he's the Messiah, she said, "Wow! Seems like there's a lot going on," which there was! As with the other Picoult book I read, I felt like she spent a lot of time on what she felt was an important part of the story but in my mind, I was more interested in other areas that she didn't spend as much time discussing. There was supposed to be a big "twist" towards the end of the book but it was pretty obvious and hinted at throughout the book. Once the twist was brought out, not a lot happened with it either which I think was the point. I really enjoyed the book and couldn't wait to continue reading it. However, towards the end, I was just ready to get to the verdict and find out what was going to happen!

What is your favorite Jodi Picoult book?

1 comment :

AshleyL said...

I was ecstatic to find a blog post about Change Of Heart by Jodi Picoult. I am a huge fan of her books, and this remains to be my absolute favorite of all time. I also could not wait to get to the verdict. The "big twist" you referring to did surprise me but was hinted about all along. As the reader, I just didn't want to believe it.

If you are interested in reading more Jodi Picoult books, I highly recommend My Sister's Keeper (definitely better than the movie so don't worry if you've seen the movie) and The Pact.

I also love Nicholas Sparks books and I recommend The Lucky One (his newest book turned movie coming out April 2012). Of course I love the movies Dear John and The Last Song, but I loved the books even more and if you haven't read them, you are missing out!