Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Life is Short...

...very short. My sorority daughter called me at 6:30 this morning to tell me that her dad had passed away last night between 8-9pm. He'd been working in the yard doing what he loved, talked to his neighbor about 8pm and then his girlfriend found him around 9pm. The man was an avid yoga-ist and loved his daughters so much. I hadn't talked to him or seen him in awhile but I always loved being around him. He always thought that I was a good influence on her and let me know that. During college, he always treated me as a part of their family inviting me to dinners and talking to me on the phone when he called. He was a great man.

Death is hard enough when you know its coming but to have it hit you out of nowhere...I can't imagine. She's now in her mid-20's with no parents (she doesn't talk to her mom). I really can't think of what that would be like. My sorority daughter and I haven't been on the best terms in the past year but the second I got her voicemail, everything was under the bridge. Life is too short to worry about silly little stuff that in the long run of life...doesn't matter. Family, friends...that's what is important, that's what matters in the long run. Please keep her and her family in your thoughts and prayers over the next couple of days.

4 comments :

Angie said...

That is so sad. That sounds like how my grandfather died. He was standing at the fence talking to a neighbor and the next minute he fell down and was dead. So sad.
I will keep them in my prayers.

LucyinStLou said...

That is a sad and scary reminder that life is short. Your friend is in my thoughts. My father died suddenly when I was in my mid 20s and I know how difficult it is.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry Lissie. I'll be thinking of her.

Cecilia said...

I am so sorry. I will keep you all in my prayers.