Friday, April 30, 2010

Google is NOT Your Friend...

...don't let him fool you. Those bright colors saying, "GOOGLE" enticing you to type what you're ailments or something you're curious about. It's like he's holding a piece of chocolate in front of you, come on Lyssie....you can do it, just type in that information and I'll tell you EVERYTHING you ever wanted to know about it. Me? I ALWAYS fall for his little trick.

For instance, last year all the commercials were on tv about Yaz, the birth control I was on, so I start researching it and within 10 minutes I think I'm clinically depressed and all my ovaries are rotted out because of Yaz. FYI-upon discussing this with an actual health care provider, Yaz is only bad if you don't stay hydrated and don't get enough potassium.

But the down and dirty truth is, I'm breaking up with Google. I'm a worrier to begin with so why would/should I continue to put myself in situations that I know will cause me to freak out. So after my last round of Googling on Wednesday night which resulted in deep down real crocodile tears that even made my stomach so upset that I felt like I was going to puke, I decided that I need to call it off with Google. I think this will make everyone happier in my life. So I'm sorry Google, but this charade can't continue, I hope you understand....it's really not you, it's me...I hope we can still be friends.

4 comments :

Sarah said...

Ha! I try to never look at Google unless I already know what is wrong with me cause I am the queen of self-diagnosis. I use that instead of going to the doctor. Last year I broke my ribs and read treatment expectations on WebMD.* I turned out fine.

*Not recommended by the AMA.

Stephany said...

Oh, I do the same! In September, I got a bee sting on my arm that I never really took care of. There wasn't a stinger and I thought it was a bug bite until it morphed into something the size of a half-dollar. So then I turned to Google and WebMD. It convinced me that I was one of the few people who would die from this and if I started feeling chest pains, to IMMEDIATELY go to the ER. So, of course, what do I feel less than an hour of reading this? CHEST PAINS. But I know it was just myself thinking that. And everything turned out fine.

Stupid WebMD.

Jen at And Hattie Makes Three said...

When it comes to Yaz - google was my friend. Yaz was why I had to get my gallbladder removed and I would have NEVER known that it was from that. Now there is a class action lawsuit for Gallbladder Disease against Bayer.

gv said...

Jenn-that's a total bummer! I'm not saying Google is wrong, it's just like that friend that tells you your ass looks huge in your favorite outfit. Hope everything works out!