Friday, July 9, 2010

More Recipes from Other Bloggers...

...so Fourth of July weekend, Mattie and I were both stuck working. Since we obviously weren't going out of town, I decided I would try out some recipes that you fabulous bloggers have been posting. First up, Cheesey Jalapeno bread from Julie over at The Ordinary Days, and it turned out awesome (or so Matt tells me because I don't do hot stuff so I didn't actually eat any of it).

I think she got the recipe from her local newspaper but here it is:

Jalapeno Beer Bread
Victoria Advocate
3 c. flour
3 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. chopped pickled jalapenos (that means chop before you measure)
1 c. shredded cheese (I used cheddar)
12 fl. oz. quality beer (Bud Light is considered quality, right?)
1 stick butter, melted

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Stir in jalapenos, cheese, and beer and mix just until everything is incorporated. Pour the dough into prepared loaf pan and smooth to edges of pan. Pour entire stick of butter over the dough. Yes, the entire stick - do it. Bake 1 hour. Let rest in pan 10 minutes before turning out.

I used fresh jalapenos from our garden and 1/4 of a cup only turned out to be two good sized ones. Note to self though: wash hands thoroughly at least five times before rubbing eye-ouchie!!!

I also attempted to make the so-called "easy" Key Lime Pie from Hilary over at The Tale of this Newlywed. Here is the recipe:

Easy Key Lime Pie
1 prepared graham cracker crust
1 8 oz container of Cool Whip, thawed
3 tbsp. lime juice
1/2 tsp. lime zest
1 4 oz. lime gelatin package
Boil 2/3 c. water. Mix in lime gelatin until it desolves. Add lime zest and lime juice. Add in cold water and ice cubes until you have 2.5 cups. Mix lime concoction with thawed cool whip until blended smooth. Poor mixture into pie crust, sprinkle lime zest on top and refrigerate for 2 hours.

Mine was a big fail...well, kind of. I'm pretty sure I know where I messed up. See where is says "...until you have 2.5 cups"? Yeah, I'm pretty sure I probably botched the measurements and when I poured it into the crust it overflowed!!! I had Key Lime all over my counter (good thing Matt was still at work when I made this!!!). So I poured it back into the bowl and put it in the fridge for a couple hours. It finally jelled and then I stirred it putting it back into the pie crust. It tasted good, just wasn't pretty to the eye. Luckily, I took it over to Tom's on Saturday and when everyone was finally ready for dessert, they were all outside shooting fireworks so no one actually SAW what they were eating but they all commented how fabulous it was!

So thanks ladies for passing on this great recipes!!!

PS
Got a phone call from Dusty at 2:45am-he's officially back in the USA!!! WOOHOO!!!

4 comments :

lola said...

both of those recipes sound freaking delish!

As for the final product -- my main focus is usually on the taste, not the look of it, which makes my husband shoot me some odd looks when I finally plate our dinners! :D

lola said...

Hey girlie!

in re: your comment, I'm training for the Marine Corps Marathon on 31 OCT. I'll be running the Army 10 Miler again this year the week before so I'm kind of training for that as I do my marathon training!

Anonymous said...

I truly enjoy keylime. MAJOR yum. If it spilled on the counter I might MIGHT just lick it up... I don't know.

Hilary said...

I started to do the same thing with the 2.5 cups measurement. It wasn't until after I started putting 2.5 cups of water in to a measuring cup that I realized it said UNTIL YOU HAVE... And I completely forgot about it until you said something, otherwise I would've warned!! Hope you're having a great weekend!