Wednesday, July 18, 2012

BS Day... was butt surgery day aka repair of episitomy although I didn't have one, just a natural 2nd degree tear. To be honest, I was more worried about leaving AR and her taking bottles all day than I was about my surgery. The day started off a little cray cray. My mom was taking me to my surgery and MIL was watching AR. At 6:15am, MIL calls me to tell me she's at the emergency room with a friend of hers with gallbladder issues. She went ahead and called SIL to see if she'd take off work and watch AR. I was a little irritated because I'd already said that AR could go with us and I really didn't want to inconvenience anyone but MIL insisted that SIL would watch. Okay, it's fine I told her! It worked out pretty well and I'm grateful that we have family to help us out but I just don't want to start begging for favors this early. Luckily, SIL needed a break from work so she didn't mind.

When I left the house, AR started crying (SIL walked to the door with us so she saw us leaving). It made me feel good that she was missing me but at the same time I didn't want her upset! We stopped at the gas station for my mom to get a cappacino about 5 minutes down the road and I already wanted to call and check on her but I refrained.

When I got to the place, I realized it was right behind Cotton Babies and the waiting room was really nice. So it would have worked out to have AR with us because there was plenty of space for AR or my mom could have taken her to Cotton Babies to hang out. I'm happy though that she got to stay at home where she's used to it. I got taken back and had to take a pregnancy test! Then I changed into my gown and walked down to the pre-op area.

The nurse started my IV and asked me all about AR. The nurses were disappointed I didn't bring AR with me; they were ALL really nice. Once I was all set, I pumped one more time which I only got 2 ounces so I was a little disappointed since it was technically a feeding. But I know I was a little stressed (although my BP was back to normal-woohoo!!!) and it was about an hour before I would normally feed her. Once I finished, everyone started coming in to go over what was going to happen. I was talking to the anesthsiologist about pumping and dumping and told her that I was looking forward to having Coke. She told me I could have one in recovery.

Then my doctor came back and we chatted. I guess I didn't fully understand what all was going on because I thought she was just putting a stitch back in. Nope, she was cutting off the granular tissue and THEN stitching it together (my mom jokingly said she'd give my doc some tips about her sewing-lol). I didn't realize we were cutting it off! Next I walked back to the operating room, laid down, closed my eyes and then woke up in recovery.

This was the same drugs I had when I had my egg retrieval. I remember the same thing happening, my eyes were still heavy but I could hear everything going on around me. My mom came back and I asked for my phone to call my SIL and check on AR. She said she was doing, just a little fussy probably because mom wasn't around (again made me feel good both that she was missing me but wasn't hysterically upset). I hung up, talked to the nurse and then looked at my mom and said, "Did I just call EB?" She laughed and repeated what all I'd said. Much to my surprise, they had a Coke waiting for me! We waited a few minutes, the nurse and my doc came and gave me instructions (thank goodness my mom was there because I only remember bits and pieces). Then my mom helped me get dressed, seriously my mom has seen me naked more in the past 8 weeks than when I was a baby probably!

We headed home but stopped at 54th Street to get lunch for us and my SIL to take home. I got a sweet tea-mmm!!! I was loading up on the caffeine while I could, this was the first time in over a year that I'd had any. By the time I got home, I felt totally normal.

About an hour later, I had to pee but I was told not to wipe to just use my squirt bottle. I remember washing it and putting it in our hall closet but I ANYWHERE! By this point, I was about to pee my pants and I was calling Matt like 3x because I remember he used it. I finally got a cup and filled it with water and used that. Then I went downstairs and found it on his workbench filled with rubbing alcohol, for what-no idea! About 30 minutes later, Matt calls me back and I told him what I needed. His response, "That was important enough to call me 3x?" Umm...when I'm about to pee my pants-YES!

I pumped about 2pm and got EIGHT OUNCES! It was so sad to have to throw it away. AR wasn't sure why I was doing it either...

My mom is staying the night and I had requested meatloaf. I didn't realize I'd set out 3lbs of meat! So my mom used half and used her recipe. I used the other half and made my recipe. Then we had a Meatloaf Cookoff! We had EB come over for dinner to thank her for watching AR. Here she is with her two different kinds of meatloaf. She picked mine as the winner!!! Matt will try some tonight so we'll see what he says. He loves my meatloaf so I'll be shocked if he doesn't pick mine. Update: Mattie picked mine so I won!!!
EB brought me over Shadow's Wild Black, a blackberry flavored beer. I had it with my dinner, first one in over a year! I only drank half of it but it was really tasty.
So that's the story of my butt surgery! It went pretty well, hopefully I won't be too sore tomorrow. I'm so glad my mom is hear to help me out. It's actually nice to have the bottles because I've been getting some nice breaks and just getting to love on AR inbetween feedings. I still have to get up tonight and pump but we'll resume breastfeeding tomorrow at 5am. Hopefully, I'm on the upswing of healing!


Julie said...

hopefully the rest of this is all smooth sailing!

Slamdunk said...

I hope you feel better, and that 5 am was bearable.

Hilary Lane said...

Yay! I'm glad you're doing ok!

Jenni-Bee said...

I love how you're always so upbeat about everything. And, I'm glad to hear that everything went wonderfully!

FYI - I love meatloaf!!! I can't cook for crap, so when I was reading this I was so jealous that you can make a kick butt meatloaf. Matt's a lucky man!!