Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Sweet Potato Cookies...

...I found a recipe on Pinterest for teething biscuits. It used rice cereal or single grain oatmeal. This seemed like a perfect way to get rid of all the oatmeal because AR doesn't eat it any more and there's a TON leftover (plus I have an entire unopened box). I followed the directions like I was supposed to but added more water because mine were really sticky. I baked and baked and baked and they never got hard like a teething biscuit is supposed to so mine ended up being sweet potato cookies instead!

Here's the recipe from the blog Imprintalish:

Homemade Teething Biscuits (or Sweet Potato Cookies)
1 cup flour
1 cup dry infant rice cereal
1 ripe medium mashed banana (1/3 cup-I have also substituted pureed carrots and sweet potato)
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons water

Preheat oven to 425ºF / 220ºC. In a bowl, mix together flour, cereal and cinnamon. Add in oil, banana and water. Mix until dough comes together to form a firm, non-sticky dough. Add water or flour (1 tablespoon at a time) if necessary. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out about 1/2 inch thick and cut into shapes or bars. Bake on a greased cookie sheet for 10-12 minutes, or until slightly brown. Allow to cool completely and store in an airtight container.

Matt and I both agree...bland but it's not meant for us sugar craving adults! Instead of giving AR her normal half of an Eggo for breakfast, I let her have a cookie for breakfast with her fruit. Here she is tasting it..
DSC_2168
Hmm...that bite wasn't big enough, let me jam some more into my mouth!
DSC_2167
Mmm...de...lic..ious!
DSC_2165
 
AR was a big fan if you can't tell by the huge mouthfuls! I had to take it away otherwise she would shove it all in her mouth. I figure, minus the vegetable oil, they've got to be pretty healthy. We'll definitely be making these again...until we run out of baby cereal!

No comments :