Thursday, July 7, 2011

"Catching Fire" Book Review...

...over the holiday weekend, I started and finished "Catching Fire" by Suzanne Collins. This is follow-up book the "Hungry Games" where you can read my review here. So here's the summary, in my words of "Catching Fire":

Since Peeta and Katniss return from winning the Hungry Games, they haven't spoken despite being "in love." The time comes for them to go on their Victory Tour but before they head out the President of Panem comes to visit Katniss informing her that her scene at the Hungry Games has put the districts on edge and about to revolt so she MUST stop this. However, she only makes things worst and when she returns home from the Victory Tour, security gets tighter in her District 12. She and the other citizens learn the new ways and do the best they can. Then it is announced that the 75th Hungry Games, or the Quarter Quell, will all be victors from previous Games which means, of course, that Katniss being the only female victor in her district will automatically be going back in. The rest of the book is all about the 75th Games where her and Peeta both know the Head Gamemaker won't make an exception to have two victors again...

While I did like this book and wanted to keep reading, it wasn't quite the page turner that the first book was. I felt like I could also see that Katniss had grown-up quite a bit from the first book to the second and was seriously considering marrying Gale. The Games also felt like there was more coming from the Gamemakers to rid the contestants whereas in the first book there was more hand to hand playing. This book didn't focus so much on the Games as it had in the first book which was odd. In my opinion, if you devoted an entire book the Games then it's weird to not focus that much attention to them in the second book...but that's just me.

Honestly, I felt like this book was just written to bridge the first book to the third book. There was no resolve at the end of this book, you knew you'd have to keep on reading to find out what happened. So one more book,  "Mockingjay," to go, let's hope it's more like "Hunger Games" and not "Catching Fire."

Have you read this book or series? What did you think about "Catching Fire?"

2 comments :

Sarah said...

I had many of the same feelings. My co-worker and her daughter read the series last summer. The daughter started Catching Fire and almost didn't finish it because there wasn't a Games. Once her mom told her there was one at the end, she went ahead and read the whole thing.

It almost could have been a two book series. The Victory Tour stuff at the end of Hunger Games and the Quarter Quell at the beginning of Mockingjay. I'm sure that would have meant less money for someone though.

Meredith said...

I liked Catching Fire well enough--I thought that it was mostly just laying the groundwork for Mockingjay. I just wish that Mockingjay would have actually spent time resolving more of the books!