Friday, July 18, 2014

Cakeway to the West: Part 12.4...

...Cakes 183-193, we covered a lot of ground in this trip!

Cake #183 Emma Kunz House

Cake #184 Skyview Drive-In
We stayed for the movie here!

Cake #185 Kathryn Dunham Museum
We had planned on picking up a few more cakes Saturday morning. For those of you not from this area, East STL is the place that you do not want to accidentally wind up in. I was really worried about getting these cakes and we'd planned on going sometime when we didn't have the girls. However, it was eight Saturday morning so I said let's do it! We knocked out 4/5 East STL cakes although rumor has it that one of the ones that haven't been placed might be there too.

Cake #186 East St. Louis Municipal Building

Cake #187 Jackie Joyner-Kersee Center
Of course, this place wasn't open and the cake was behind a fence. I pulled out my DSLR and snapped the best shot I could get which wasn't easy. It was so hot and humid that my lens was fogging up but I think it turned out alright.

Cake #188 Malcolm W. Martin Memorial Park
This was the last Eastside cake we got for the trip. It's an overlook onto the Mississippi. O...M...G! It was so high and a LOT of walking. I did this one myself and as I was huffing and puffing, I heard, "HI MOMMY!" and looked down to see this.

Totally worth it though! Awesome view!

Cake #189 Basilica of St. Louis, King of France (Old Cathedral)
Back on the MO side of the bridge...This church is gorgeous. Of course, the cake wasn't facing it and the church was under construction anyway.

Cake #190 Missouri Athletic Club

Cake #191 Campbell House Museum

Cake #192 Le Grange de Terre (Big Mound) Memorial
No clue what a "mound" is because it didn't look that big.

Cake #193 Ashley Street Power House/Riverfront Trail
This ended up being the scariest cake so far. The directions took us in front of an abandoned warehouse with the windows broken out yet we could see people in it. Then it told us to turn down this road that wasn't really there. We were done for the day after this one.

So less than 60 cakes to find and we still haven't even hit up Forest Park yet! We have one more Illinois trip but the area is currently under water so we'll have to wait for the river to crest before we hit up that part!

1 comment :

Jessica @ Wanting Adventure said...

I know many organizations wanted to get a cake for the publicity but I don't think anyone really thought thru the process of many people doing these kinds of cake-hunting trips. They are supposed to be easy to find and get to!