Monday, November 15, 2010

Meat in the Freezer!!!

...well, everyone, we made it back safe and sound AND with meat for the freezer! Don't worry, I'm not posting any gory pictures although it was kind of a gory weekend and I did get some gory photos but they're for ourselves. This was the first year that I got to go in the woods and see the deer after they were shot and watch them be field dressed. It is all very interesting and kind of like a biology lesson as Mattie pointed out different body parts to me.

It was amazing how warm it was on Friday night then while we were sleeping it totally cooled off as the rain came in. I never go out on opening morning, I let Matt enjoy the thrill of the morning without having to worry about me and I don't mind sleeping in and spending the morning chatting with my MIL. Plus it's usually warmed in the afternoon than the morning. I headed out Saturday afternoon, here's Mattie and I (FYI, or in my opinion, warm hunting gear adds 10lbs to the camera):
I didn't see one single deer but then again, I probably only looked for an hour before I got out my J. Weiner book (don't worry, review coming later this week). Last year, I had told Matt that if I got a deer, I would caw so he would know to come to me (think caw like Ellen does), like he would really hear me cawing on the 100+ acres that's at the farm but in theory it was a good idea. I got out of my stand before dark though, nature called, and I saw him in a stand close to me. I cawed as I walked out so he knew I was down. As I was chatting at the house with him mom, his dad came to let us know he got a deer!!! I ran back down in the field cawing like crazy for Matt to come but he'd already left the stand and didn't hear me. It was pitch black by the time we got to my FIL's deer and I was getting yelled at for blinding them with the flash from the camera. Geez, it's my first time everyone, give me a break! When we got back to the house, Matt squirted me in the face with deer milk which is definitely NOT the grossiest thing that I saw all weekend and it was really funny. We both laughed and agreed that we had the humor of j-highers!

Sunday morning, Matt came back to the house around 9:30 asking for his dad to come help him track his deer. Every year when we go, I'm always cheering inside me, get a deer! Get a deer! I know how happy it makes him and how disappointed he gets when he doesn't so while I'm excited that the freezer gets filled, I'm more excited that Matt is super happy! They found the deer and came back to the house to get the tractor in which Matt came to find me telling me to put on my orange, I did and walked outside and realized it was just me and him going to get the deer. I was so excited...it was an honor!!! When we got to his doe, he was looking for something and I saw beside her petting her. She was so soft. I told her she was pretty and I apologized but let her know that she was going to good use. Then came the gory part and the biology lesson.

We, as a family, spent a good five hours Sunday afternoon cutting the meat and packaging it up. I sliced my finger on the bone...that stuff is sharp! We ended up with an entire cooler and a half and Mattie is going again next weekend so hopefully he'll get another one and we should be set for awhile! I know not everyone is a fan of deer meat but we love to make chili with it and hubs makes the best steaks with them...don't ask me how he does it, he just does!

Of course, what's a farm post without pics of the pups? My Shadie Adie...
My precious Em Dog...
I always feel bad taking them out on deer weekend. I mean they love the farm but when it's rifle season, we can't let them out because 1. we don't want anyone to shoot at them (esp Emma because she kind of looks like a very small deer) and 2. they'll sniff everything out and try to get into it! They were great pups though, only whining a bit and I even snuck them in Saturday afternoon for a little nap snuggled up with me.
Great job Mattie! I'm so very proud of you! Thanks for letting me learn a little more every year. Maybe next year will be my year...
PS
Matt is planning on having the heart for dinner tonight. Me? I'm going to dinner with Amy-thank goodness for blog friends!

4 comments :

Christy Duffy said...

Girl, you are a good wife!

Jillian said...

ok wow I give you credit... i could not have doen that haha

Stephany said...

Glad you didn't show pictures. :)

Sounds like a...fun?...weekend!

Amy said...

Oh gosh! Glad I am rescuing you from the heart tonight! Looking forward to dinner. Carefully studying the menu all morning.