Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Mini Vacation...

...ahh, yes, I feel like I just returned from a mini vacation! We spent 3 days in Cape and I got to catch up on sleep, friends and family and do a whole lot of nothing-it was fabulous!!! I posted yesterday about our Thanksgiving. Friday we got up early and went to visit my aunt and cousin in really Small Town USA. Here's a pic of my cousin Jona, although I call her Joan and her labradoodle Ava. Ava reminded me of a famous movie star but for the life of me I couldn't figure out who. My best guess was Harrison Ford from the beginning of "The Fugitive." What do you all think?
Friday afternoon I met up with my sis and H. They were getting their haircut so H and I were on a mission to find shoes. I got a cute pair of gray and brown flats which were exactly what I needed for the upcoming season so I don't have to wear tennis shoes every day to work. Then Friday night, a bunch of the "step" fam came over after golfing all day and had a bonfire. Shadow was loving it because he cleaned up all the dropped marshmallows and when I saw him come in the house, he had mallow on his neck and leg! Oye! He was a mess!!!

Saturday morning we woke and Santa had stopped! My mom is in Florida over Christmas so we do it at Thanksgiving. It's actually really nice for Matt and I because we only have to split our time between two places instead of one. Santa left us our annual apple & orange for good health and $1 for wealth. I also got a couple cookbooks, a duffle bag and money to "blow on myself!" Matthew got some lottery tickets from Santa and won a free ticket! He cashed it in later that day and didn't win anything.
Around lunch time, I met my friend Laura and her son T.J. at My Daddy's Cheesecake. They have a location in Clayton so you should stop by and visit them. I had the, surprise!, Peanut Butter Swirl cheesecake. It wasn't quite peanut buttery enough for me but it was still delicious!
We headed back to the house for our "feast" of shrimp, salmon, chicken quesadillas and baked potatoes. Yum, yum and lots of peeling shrimp for everyone else. Then we headed to church where I got to visit with an old friend's parents which was nice. Then Matt and I headed down to Jess & Matt's in Sikeston for some "Buzz Word." It was really a lot of fun! We played Girls vs. Boys (Girls won-of course!) and then we played Couples, Matt & Jess beat us. I told my Matt (yes, when the hs girls get together we have to refer to our husbands at my Matt because 3/6 of us are married to Matts!)that I loved him but we really suck at games! Why? Well maybe because he told me the buzz word was "spine" when it was really "spin" Either way, if we suck or not, it was still a lot of fun!
After the games, Jess decided it was time for a little blackmail and pulled out the photo albums from high school. As you can see here, everyone is very serious as we look through the photos.
We got back to Cape around 11ish and wanted to go through the Christmas lights but the park was closed. I always look for the Darla Pannier Memorial when I go through the lights. Funny the things we remember about our hometowns, huh? When we got home, Jo and my mom had majorly messed up a quilt so they were unstitching everything. Yikes! Matt and I escaped so we didn't get sucked into the unstitching too!
Sunday we had lunch with my dad, his wife, her daughter and her fiance at Port Cape. My dad kept telling me that we would meet at 12:15 at Port Cape Girardeau...okay, dad, got it-I don't plan on going to any other port!?! We'll spend more time with that side of the family at Christmas.
After dinner, we headed back to the STL. Now it's Tuesday and it's going to be a LONG week because this is the first and last full week of work I've had since the beginning of October-December. So thanks for letting us take a mini-vacay to your house mom!

6 comments :

Slamdunk said...

Glad you had a such a good time. The Mrs. and I are lousy game players as well--we both are freelancers and usually going in the opposite direction.

Mrs. Dirnberger said...

I am SOOOO UPSET that I missed that post from Thursday?? How did I miss it. Even when I am day or so behind I ALWAYS go back to your blog and reread the later ones.
I am not going to say anything, because nothing I can say will make you stop hurting. You know I struggled with similar things and you know I always remember those still struggling. I am here..always..for questions or concerns!
I feel like I know, therefore you are a friend to me :)

Julie said...

I love Port Cape - there's just something about it being on the riverwalk and when a train goes by. Yum! I haven't been to the cheesecake place yet, which is surprising as I love cheesecake but I saw its new location the last time we were in Cape. I got ideas for next time :)

Stephany said...

Oh! I have that game! It's fun. When my brother comes over, it's usually us against my mom and she ALWAYS wins. It sucks because some of the buzzwords are great and some are really awful and can have SO MANY answers to it!

Sounds like you had a busy, busy weekend! I think you need a vacation from your vacation! ;)

Christy Duffy said...

Dang, you pack a lot into a weekend! Sounds wonderful - glad you had a good time.

Adie said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! I never heard of the fruit and $1 thing. I will have to look it up. You crack me up with your peanut butter! Email me!