Thursday, February 4, 2010

Poison...

...yep, it's February and I already have my first batch of poison ivy thanks to hubs. First off, let me just tell you that I used to never get poison until like 5 years ago and now I can just look at it and I'll have a horrible case that won't go away. Being married to an outdoorsy man and his family, I tend to get poison quite a bit spring, summer and fall so I just keep a prescription of prednizone on hand at all times.

So Matt picks me up at work on Monday and shows me his arms, "Look at this rash. I wonder what it is, I know it's not poison ivy." Hmm...I look and shrug and go on with the evening. Being the good, naive wife that I am, I believed him that it wasn't poison. So Wednesday, my neck had been itching but I'd worn a sports bra to workout in so I just figured the tag was bothering me or something. After I got out of the shower, I asked Matt to look at it and he said, yeah probably just the tag.

I wake up throughout the night last night feeling the urge to itch but trying not. I laid in bed for about an hour before the alarm went off thinking to myself, "I've never had chicken pox...maybe I have shingles...but I don't feel bad, hmm...I'll google that later." So I finally get up and wake Matt up to look at it. "Oh yeah, I guess that is poison ivy on my arms." WHAT!? Then he goes on tell me he probably got it at the farm on Sunday when they were cutting up wood. So now I have it from my hairline on my neck all the way to mid right shoulder and it ITCHES SO BAD!!! I guess Matt must have had his arm around my neck and that's how I got it...that didn't sound good, arm around my neck not like he's choking me but like he's holding me...aww, sweet...okay, glad we're all on the same page now.

So I took a Claritin Hives pill this morning and plan on starting the prednizone tonight or in the morning. I'll be washing all the sheets, pillowcases, hubs' jackets, etc...tonight and I will never believe hubs again when he tells me he doesn't have poison because I really, really, REALLY hate having it!!! Please send non-itchy thoughts my way!

9 comments :

Adie said...

Boo on the poison ivy. I am HIGHLY allergic to poison oak. One year I got it and my face swelled so bad I had no neck/chin distinction and my sister called me elmor fud. My eyes were swollen shut other wise I may have made her pay for that ;) Keep poison free!

Angie said...

Bad Mattyboo!
Sorry you so itchy, that really blows!

Meredith said...

Ugh...boo to poison oak and poison ivy!

Justin got really, really sick with poison oak a couple years ago--he inhaled some of the dust that the roots were in, and had it literally ALL OVER his body. It was terrible. I'm super paranoid about getting it now!

Krystie said...

Take a luke warm oatmeal bath!! it works wonders. Sorry you got the itchy's and the red nastiness. I think hubs now owes you a nice dinner out ;)

Cecilia said...

Girl that sucks! My brothers are highly allergic to it also. I, being Ms. Sensitive skin, have no reaction to it. I find that really odd. I am sending you all my non itchy vibes. Oh, and you should NEVER, EVER believe a man. Hehehehehe.

Veronica King: aka Queen Vee said...

Ew...I hate poison ivy. We get a round of it EVERY YEAR, thanks to my husband's job outside! ICK! Hope it clears up quickly!

P.S. I left something for you on my blog! =]

Stephany said...

Ugh, poison ivy. I've never had it but it does NOT sound like a fun time. I hope you start feeling better!

It's my first time stopping by your blog with the new layout! It's adorable! I love, love, love the picture...it's so cute!

Alaina @ Three Ladies and a Dad said...

I have never had poison ivy, luckily. I hope it goes away soon and does not spread any more!

Amanda said...

Oh you poor thing. That's one of the bad things about being married..seems like you always catch what your hub has!