Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Cycling Gods...

...so if you can't tell, I'm really trying to be more active and get outside more. I've added swimming to my cross-train days which the triathlon is in just a couple weeks. In February, I'd like to do an inside triathlon at the Jewish Community Center. I did it, geez...four years ago in 2007 and it was a lot of fun and much easier and cheaper than doing an actual tri. So hopefully I can work up to that after the marathon and you can train all inside.

I've also tried to add some cycling. One of my friends on Daily Mile is a cyclist so we "challenged" each other...me to ride my bike because I kept talking about it and him to run. I've REALLY been trying to uphold my head of the deal but the Cycling Gods must have it out for me.

Bike Ride Attempt #1-Matt and I got up bright and early like 6:30am on a Sunday morning to go riding along the Katy Trail. I had asked Matt to have the bikes out and ready to go on Saturday but he didn't. So we had to tool around Sunday morning, getting the bikes down, airing up tires, etc...We finally make it on the trail and about half a mile in, it starts to sprinkle but we keep going, at mile 1 full on rain, lightning and thunder. Good news...we got our heart rates up from biking back to the truck so fast. Bad news...we only went like two miles and it took us longer to get ready than to actually ride.

Bike Ride Attempt #2-Matt and I got up bright and early on a Sunday morning to go ride a different part of the Katy Trail. Get the bikes out, my tire was flat so we stopped and filled it up. Drive the 20 minutes to the trail, get out and the tire is completely flat...GRR!!! No biking for us that day.

Bike Ride Attempt #3-Last Wednesday, I decide to ride Matt's bike to the post office to mail a birthday card. Just a short little ride but then I'd get my cycling in and we'd be good to go (plus I was putting off mowing because it was so hot). Well I got his bike out and the seat was so high, I could barely throw my leg over it. After getting ahold of Matt and adjusting the seat and bruising/scratching my entire right forearm, I was good to go.

I made it to the post office fine but as I start to peddle back, nothing, nada, peddling and going nowhere. Hmm...I know absolutely NOTHING about bikes and, of course, I only had my work phone. I try to get ahold of Matt and nothing. Grr...I was SOO mad, steam was spraying out of my ears as I pushed the bike an entire MILE back home. I hadn't taken water or a visor or anything because I thought it would be real quick...um, I was wrong!

So now both bikes are out of commission. Like I said before, I think the Cycling Gods are telling me to stick to running and swimming.

9 comments :

Amber said...

That sounds so frustrating! I would have been fuming too.

Cycling is huge here in Charlotte. There are cyclists on the road in huge groups all the time. But I've just never had the nerve to try it myself.

I'm having a hard enough time sticking to my running schedule! :)

Kevin and Katie said...

Kevin can fix both of your bikes.

Mrs. Dirnberger said...

I am tired just listening to all you DO! You are sooo motivated, i wish i had half of your energy

Adie said...

So frustrating! What type of bike do you have? I have been wanting to try riding.

Stephany said...

Oh, dang. All of that would've made me give up on biking, haha. I would've thought God was telling me biking was just not my thing. ;)

Your best advice said...

too bad about your bikes

Sadako said...

Aw, sorry to hear that but it's awesome to be getting into any kind of new exercise/thing...

Faith said...

That sucks. Hope you get 'em fixed and keep up all the good work!

d.a.r. said...

Ahh so frustrating!! Good luck getting everything fixed and back on the road!