Thursday, August 12, 2010

Tri-ing it On Sunday...

...so Sunday is the triathlon. I know I'm just 1/3 of my three-women team but I'm getting kind of nervous!!! At first we'd all signed up to just do it but now that registration is closed and we took at look at the competition, we realized there's only 6 female teams. So we basically have a 1 in 6 chance of placing in the top three....insert nerves and pressure!

I am by NO means a professional swimmer, athlete, runner, etc...I'm just working out and doing stuff to push myself and see how far I can go. My two other teammates, of which one is my boss, are pretty competitive and pretty good at what they do. Our runner is hoping to finish her 5k in under 21 minutes!?! Our team goal is to finish in under 1 hour and 40 minutes. I'm thinking (and hoping) it'll take me about 6 minutes, the biker 1 hour 10 minutes and our runner 21 minutes so that's a total of 1 hour and 37 minutes plus add in transition times so 1:40 is our goal.

Today is going to be my last day to swim before the tri. I've swam and timed myself like 4 times in the past week and I've averaged about 5 minutes 25 seconds for the 300 yards. Yesterday was the fastest I've swam it at 5:22. When the coordinator of the event started setting start times on Tuesday, I found out I was in the top swimming start times (you have to list your own). That's when I started freaking out!!! I don't want to be in the top, I'm so afraid I'm going to get swam on top of or passed by like 5 million people. I just want to get in the pool and swim at my own pace and get done.

I also think a lot of people have no idea how long it will take them to swim so they just write down a random time. That's what I did at first until I timed myself and knew what I was working with. So I don't REALLY think I'm in the top 50, I think I'm just one of the few that actually has timed myself. My start time will be 7:29AM on Sunday morning so if you're up, be thinking of me, k? Some positive thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

My other fear? Running toward my teammate in my swimsuit. Did I mention that the biker is also my boss? That means I'm going to be running towards my boss sopping wet in a swimsuit. Many of my other co-workers are going to be there as well and they'll all see me in my swimsuit. How awesome is that? NOT!

Oh well, if I finish in the time I've been practicing (I'm freaking out that I haven't been swimming long enough even though I've checked out the pool and know how it's set up) and tag my teammate without busting it (after I get out of the pool, I have to run across the pool deck and up STAIRS to my teammate...barefoot and in my swimsuit!) then I will consider it a success!

I'll be sure to post a race report along with pictures (none of me in my swimsuit-no fear!) sometime next week. Please send me some relaxing, positive thoughts!

13 comments :

Jordan said...

Good luck! Sounds like it will be fun/exciting!

Adie said...

I can't wait to hear all about it! I am so excited for you minus the running in the bathing suit part. Sorry I have been a bad bloggy friend. I am training the new girl this week. It has been a long week.

Alaina @ Three Ladies and a Dad said...

That's awesome what you are doing! Good luck!

Amanda @ It's Blogworthy said...

GIRL you are ballsy! I would fall, flat on my face, so kudos to you for even trying it! can't wait to hear how it goes.

Mrs. Dirnberger said...

You go GIRL!!! Have fun

Jen said...

Rock it! And everyone looks like a sexy momma in a 1 piece speedo - woop!

Good luck!

Alicia said...

You'll do great!

Stephany said...

Good luck, good luck, good luck! I know you'll do amazing, but I can understand the fear.

I'll be up at that time so I will DEFINITELY be thinking of you!!

Anonymous said...

Good luck!!!

Christy Duffy said...

You are hysterical! You're going to look just great running towards your teammate!

Can't wait to hear all about it!

steph anne said...

I think it's amazing that you're going to be doing a triathlon! I think everyone will be into it that they won't have time to be really thinking about you running towards them in your swimsuit. :) Good luck & HAVE FUN!

Aimee said...

Good luck tomorrow! I can't wait to hear how it went!

d.a.r. said...

Good luck! You are going to do great. And seriously, don't give another thought to how you are going to look. I saw all shapes, sizes, ages, levels of fitness, etc. when I was spectating Z's triathlon!