Monday, August 23, 2010

'Twas the Night Before First Grade...

...this past Wednesday, my little Hay Hay started the first grade!!! I can't believe how much she's grown up in what seems like so little time. On Tuesday, her mom let her pick out something to do as an end-of-summer good time. She picked painted pottery! Geez-us Holyfield women are all the same that its kind of funny.


After we looked around the store for about 20 minutes, we all figured out what we were going to make. I settled on this:
It is a four piece coaster set and it goes inside that black holder thing. Being that we have six weddings in the next two months, I thought this was a cute and unique gift. Their last name will be starting with an "H" and the bride's name starts with an "S" and the groom a "C." You would think four little square things wouldn't take long at all to paint, right? WRONG! It took my almost two hours to paint those babies. I hope they turn out okay. If you can tell in the picture, some paint got under my "H" sticker so it'll have a little blue spot. Oh well, it'll just give it character.


Haley, err her mom, made this little pencil, scissor, whatever you want to hold holder for her new first grade teacher for Christmas. Again, we are all so much alike, I already have three gifts for Matt done and those were all purchased last spring! Anyways, Haley blew bubbles and it left a pretty cool design on this thing. Don't worry, I'm sure I'll have "after" pictures to show you all as well. Whew...I bet you can sleep better tonight now, can't ya?
I also saw a spoon holder that I asked Haley to make me. I asked her two Christmas-es ago for a spoon holder and I got a snowman one that stays out year round. I mean just because it's not snow season doesn't mean I don't need a spoon holder!
We went to Baked Goods off Gravois. In their bathroom, they have the walls decorated with tiles that people have made or left behind. I came out and told Haley next time the owners were in, she should ask if she could make a tile for the bathroom. The guy working heard me and brought us over a tile to paint! All in all, we were busy little painters!
On Wednesday, she called me after school. Here was our convo:
Me: "Hey Little Sister! How was the first grade?"
Hay: "Awe-some!"
Me: "Yeah? Why was it so awesome? What did you learn?"
Hay: "We learned about pennies and Abe Lincoln!"
Oh how I miss those days of awesome-ness when all it took was pennies and Abe Lincoln!

7 comments :

Slamdunk said...

Sounds like quality time together.

Today is the first day of school here--lots of frowns as summer vacation is over, but I am sure there will be an Abe Lincoln or penny to cheer them up.

Christy Duffy said...

Love the coasters! They look great. And your closing line is fantastic.

Jillian said...

I love painting pottery it is alwasy such a blast!!

Alicia said...

Sounds like lots of fun! The coasters look great btw!

Stephany said...

Those coasters are adorable! What a fun project!

Adie said...

Your pottery always looks awesome! Mine always lloks like my kids did it! Glad you had fun. Wish you could come visit! Miss you! Get texting. ;)

Kitty Deschanel said...

A very good point about the spoon holder ;)

Good luck with the new school year!