Monday, September 13, 2010

CHADS Coalition 5k with Runners 4 Luke...

...Sunday morning, I woke up bright and early ready to take my Poppa to his first ever 5k race. I had just run 20 miles the day before (see post tomorrow) so I was a bit sore, tired and generally worn out but I was excited to see our great team and help my Butchie get through his race. Cecilia was the first blog friend I saw. Her hub had woke up sick and didn't make it but she showed up and kicked some major 5k butt! Unforunately, she had to get home after the race to tend to her sick hubby.

Aimee and her husband, Shine, decided to walk the 5k with us. The girls took the lead while my dad and Shine hung back and discussed taxes or something like that. I could tell by the way he was limping that his leg was bothering him so I kept asking him, "Daddy, are you okay?" He'd grimace and say I'm walking, aren't I? I'd say, "Good because we're too far away from the finish to quit!"

Aimee and I kept walking then we'd stop and wait for the boys. Probably around the 2.5 mile mark, there was a volunteer blaring "Eye of the Tiger" so I turned around and yelled, "Poppa-you're a champ! Come on!" Then I start dancing around like Rocky-not a GREAT idea as I'm still very, very sore from my 20 miler yesterday (so glad I decided to stick with my dad instead of running the 10k like I'd originally signed up for). I'm glad I got out and walked today to stay loose. We finally got to mile 3 and I asked my dad if he wanted to run the last tenth, I could tell he was still limping and he said I should be happy he made it this far! So I let him, Aimee and Shine go ahead of me and I snapped a picture of them crossing the finish line then I hopped across the finish line myself. He was very proud of himself and I was even prouder. He even mentioned that he might do another one with me sometime! Runners 4 Luke won for the biggest team there with 56 teammates so we were treated to pie and ice cream-definitely my kind of recovery snack!

Here is a pic of the gang that rode with us to the race: Trent, Amber, her puppy Carmella, Jenny and me

My Butchie and me-I love him so much and yes, we look exactly alike! We may have come in dead last but we won a pie!!! Pear cobbler with cranberry streusel. Matt was so happy when we brought it home for him!

Bekah (Luke's sister), Angie (Luke's mom) and me after the raceThanks to everyone who came out to celebrate Luke's 17th birthday with us and for supporting CHADS Coalition. Put it on your calendars for next September!!!

9 comments :

Cecilia said...

I wish I could have hung around post race. Darn sick hubbies and a two year old that knows how to really push his buttons. Lol. I had a lot of fun racing. The little girls giving out high fives were too cute. I laughed when I passed the kid playing Rocky music.

Christy Duffy said...

Wow! What a wonderful family memory! Tell him he rocks!

(And 20 miles?! Seriously? You rock!)

Randall @ Happy For This Moment said...

Great pictures! CHADS is one of our clients so it's great to see their successful event.

Slamdunk said...

Yea for Poppa!

Ahh, I'll have to go back and read your previous post--I missed it.

Jillian said...

wow you make me feel like a slacker haha

Stephany said...

Sounds like such a great time! And way to go, Poppa, for finishing the race! He must've been so proud of himself. :)

Kitty Deschanel said...

You won a PIE?? Maybe I'm all turned around on racing.

Faith said...

Umm.....20 miles the day before. You're way too active for me! I'd be lucky to make it around my block! Although if I won a pie at the end, maybe I could do it!

Angie said...

I just love how you're like, "so no big deal but I ran 20 miles the day before" LMAO you crack me up. Glad to see your dad is doing so well - he looks as great as ever!