Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A Double Mom Date...

...this past Saturday night, I had the best double mom date with my mother and Jess and her mom. We had dinner at the Fountain then headed to the Fabulous Fox Theatre to see "Shrek."Fabulous Fox! First time in forever that I'd been here at night.

Jess talked all night about getting nuts at the Fox so she got some and was very happy!

Here's Jess and I in the lobby of the Fox.


It was a REALLY fun night, probably one of the best nights out I've had in a long time! We started with dinner at the Fountain. Okay, you all know that I LOVE this place and rave about it all the time, right? Yeah...well, it was really busy when we got there. My mom and I got there about 15 minutes before we were meeting them because we figured it would be busy, so my mom and I just sat at the bar. Well, we sat there and no one asked if we wanted anything. Finally, we asked this guy, we'll call him Striped Guy (he was wearing stripes), if we could order with him. He said no, he'd find our server and they would take our order. Okay, fine...we get our drinks (a martini and an orange phosphate soda):
Then we get seated...well, isn't it a surprised when Striped Guy, who refused to serve us at the bar was our waiter! Let me just tell you now that the service was AWFUL!!! I asked for ranch and he told me they didn't have any ranch. I said I got it last time, he said I got lucky, I replied with, oh I guess I did the past TWO times I've been here. He never brought us water, hardly asked how we were doing and I'm pretty sure he rolled his eyes everytime he left our table. Our food took forever to come (they were busy when we got there but then it had cleared out) and our ice cream sat at the bar for at least 5 minutes melting and having bar people breath on it-gross! The final straw came when he brought the bill and hadn't split it (which we'd asked him to do when we first sat down and he said sure no problem). I finally asked for a manager who came over and was really sweet. I told her the food was great and we loved the place but our waiter was horrible. She split the bill for us and even gave us a discount and asked if we'd come back and see them. I still can't believe he lied to me about the ranch (which I did end up getting but I forgot to tell the manager about that part!)!!! Dinner took so long that I didn't even have time to check out the America's Best Restroom! Oh well, there's always next time and yes, there will be a next time because I still absolutely love this place...just not Striped Guy.
After dinner, I drove the four of us the few blocks down to the Fox. Jess was very impressed with my city driving (it really wasn't that hard, not much traffic was out). Then we walked like 3 blocks to the Fox. We got inside and found our seats which were A-MA-ZING! They told us no photography, I still had my camera in my hand. We sat and I went to take a picture of the stage and the Crazy No Camera Lady hunted me down from two sections over. Sorry! I thought it just meant during the performance! My bad! So I got this one picture and it's really horrible but I'm sharing it because apparently it's top secret!This little boy and his mom sat next to me and this kid was CRACKING me up! First off, he did NOT know how to whisper and secondly, we all know that Shrek has a few adult jokes in it so every time one would come up and people would laugh, he'd be begging his mom to explain. One time, everyone on stage was looking into the crowd and the kid turned around to see what they were looking at. He was really funny! I couldn't complain though because a couple times I had to ask Jess, "What'd they say?" Geez...I'm getting so old, I have to ask people to repeat things for me.
From our seats, we could ask see a TV screen with the orchestra conductor on it. It was in black and white and it totally reminded me of CSI when Nick was buried alive...creepy!!! My favorite two characters were the Gingerbread Man-he was hilarious and Lord Farquaad. The guy who played Lord Farquaad did the whole thing on his knees and it was just hilarious. Seriously though, his knees HAD to hurt! We're also pretty sure that Princess Fiona and Ogre Fiona were two different people but only Ogre Fiona came out at the end. Also, the Fox was maybe half full which I was TOTALLY shocked about. I've never been to the Fox when it hasn't been totally or almost sold out but there were tons of empty seats. I figured with a show like "Shrek" it would definitely be sold out, hmm...
It was an awesome time with great company. By the time we got home it was 11:30 and that is WAY past by bedtime...watch out, I was getting wild and crazy! I hope that we can schedule another fun outing with Jess and her mom again. Thanks for a great evening!

8 comments :

Jennelle said...

How fun!! I haven't been to the Fox...well, I went last year with my mom. Forget that. It FEELS like forever! And I bet Shrek was a great musical to see. :)

Anonymous said...

What can I say, fat kid likes nuts;) We had fun too and we should def. do it again soon! Next time I will bring you some ranch from home, just in case.

Jess

Christy Duffy said...

Sounds like a great time. Shrek is coming near us this winter and I want to go. After reading this I'm really looking forward to it!

Jillian said...

sounds liek a great night. dates with mom are the best!!

Stephany said...

What a terrible waiter! I hope you didn't give him a good tip. Once, I gave a waiter a $1 tip...and another time, I just rounded up to the next dollar (I think it was like 45 cents or something).

Fox Theatre is amazing! And so weird that Shrek was no sold out...I would think that would be a quick seller!

Alicia said...

I love The Fox, just went there in June to see Wicked! Glad you guys had a great time. I must be getting old cause as much fun as I had there a few months back I remember thinking that I don't remember it always lasting this long and I was going to get to bed super late. LOL!

Slamdunk said...

Sounds like a fantastic night. We have one little one who does not know how to whisper either--which can make life very entertaining.

amy (metz) walker said...

LOVE the Fox...and I would have killed that waiter!!!!