Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Baked Oatmeal Casserole...

...I started counting calories and while it's time consuming and not fun, I've actually started seeing the number move on the scale which is worth it!
 
With that being said, I've been searching Pinterest for some new, low-cal ideas. I found a recipe for a Gluten-Free Baked Casserole from the Urban Nester. A couple weekends ago, I decided to give it try and it was pretty good! It took about an hour to prepare and cook but then I had breakfast for 8 days!
DSC_4771
I counted all the calories for every ingredient I put in the bowl and figured it out that if the pan is cut into 8 pieces, it's about 275 calories per piece. AR's been on a big scrambled egg and Greek yogurt kick (mixed together) lately so that's what she usually has for breakfast while I enjoy this. She does love this too though! I always share and she usually eats all the berries out of mine.
DSC_4772
Ingredients
2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup walnut pieces
1 cup raspberries {any berries work}
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
2 cups milk
1 large egg
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 ripe banana, peeled, 1/2-inch slices
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375°F and generously spray the inside of a 10-1/2 by 7 inch baking dish with cooking spray and place on a baking sheet.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the oats, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, half the walnuts, half the strawberries and half the chocolate. (Save the other half of strawberries, walnuts and chocolate for the top of the oatmeal).
3. In another large bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, butter and vanilla extract.
4. Add the oat mixture to prepared baking dish. Arrange the remaining strawberries, walnuts and chocolate on top. Add the banana slices to the top then pour the milk mixture over everything.
5. Gently shake the baking dish to help the milk mixture go throughout the oats.
6. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until the top is nicely golden brown and the milk mixture has set. For an extra tasty top, sprinkle a tablespoon or so of extra brown sugar.
 
I couldn't find gluten-free oats so I used regular oats and I think my pan was a little bigger than what the recipe called. I bought enough ingredients to make this twice and it's so worth it! Share some of your favorite low-cal recipes.

P.S. Rabbit, rabbit!

1 comment :

Meg @ Meg-in-Training said...

Rabbit, Rabbit! This sounds good. Must try!
I've been doing shakeology for breakfast every morning and then a snack at 9am. Been working well, but if I want to see bigger changes on the scale and in the mirror, I need to be stricter with the rest of my meals too!