Thursday, October 31, 2013

Homemade Pumpkin Bread...

...every year, Matt's mom and sister always make a homemade pumpkin pie and it tastes delicious! Every year, I say that I'm going to do it too...and I never do. Once pumpkin season started this year, I again, swore I was going to make a pumpkin pie from scratch. I've found the recipe I'm going to use, we've got 4 pumpkins on the porch so the weekend after Halloween, watch out-it's pie time!
 
I decided I better start small though and decided I'd try some homemade pumpkin bread first. I used the pumpkin AR decorated at Liz's party. Don't worry, we peeled off the decorations and moved them to another pumpkin.
 
By the time I thought to get the camera out, this was where I was in the process. The pumpkin had already been baked and the batter poured into the bread pans.
DSC_5829
About an hour and a couple bites later, this is what we had!
DSC_5830
AR sampling...
DSC_5833
"Yah, Mommy! Good job!" Clapping for mommy before signing more!
DSC_5835
Matt was also a big fan and luckily, between the two of them, they ate it fast enough that it didn't mess up my diet too much! I followed the directions from here. Now on to the recipe!
 
Ingredients
3.5 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
3 cups sugar (or Stevia or Splenda)
1.5 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. allspice
2 cups fresh cooked pumpkin or one 16 oz canned pumpkin
Water Note: 1/2 cup if you are using fresh cooked pumpkin or 2/3 cup water if you are using canned
4 eggs (note for vegans (or really anyone): Each egg can be replaced by 1 tablespoon of flax meal mixed with 3 tablespoons of water. Bread takes about 15 minutes longer and is a bit more dense.
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
 
Directions
1. Preheat over to 350 F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and sugar.
3. Add the eggs, water, oil and pumpkin.
4. Stir until blended. Then add raisins/nuts.
5. Pour into two lightly greased and floured loaf pans. Or, use muffin pans if you want muffins.
6. Bake about 1 hour.
7. Remove from oven and cool.
9. Take loaves out of pans to cool.
10. Devour!!!
 
Notes
*I guess I should tell you about the pumpkin, huh? It was super easy! I cut it in half, cleaned out the seeds and put the cut side down on a baking sheet. Then I covered it with aluminum foil, popped it in the oven at 350 and cooked for about an hour. When it was done, I let it cool then scooped out the insides. You were supposed to puree it but I forgot so I just mixed it in. It didn't make a difference but when I make the pie, I'll definitely puree.
*I think I used too much allspice. I only had whole allspice so I had to smash it up. It was just a bit strong in the bread but not too strong that it ruined it.
*I only used 2 eggs then I did 2 tablespoons of flax seed with 6 tablespoons of water. It did take a few minutes longer but you couldn't tell a difference in taste.
*I poured the batter into the pans then added nuts to one loaf.
 
Definitely a keeper recipe and baking pumpkin isn't nearly as intimidating as I thought it would be! Now, let's hope the pie goes as well! Happy Halloween!!!

1 comment :

Unknown said...

Yum! Definitely going to try this out!