Sunday, November 24, 2013

Cranberry Salad...

...it seems as though cranberry is one of those must have dishes at Thanksgiving. I remember years of having a blob of canned cranberry sitting on a plate at the dinner table while everyone turned their nose up. When I was in college, one of my mom's friends brought over a delicious cranberry salad that has taken the place of the blobbed cranberry at the table. Now, we're fighting over who gets the last bite, because there's never any leftovers. I figured I'd share the recipe with you in case you, too, had a blob that sat on your table. I made some this past weekend for Toddler Thanksgiving and I'll make it again for actual Turkey Day. Note: This is an overnight recipe!
 
Ingredients 

16 oz. pkg. cranberries, frozen
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 pint whipping cream
1 cup mini marshmallow
1 1/2 cup apples, diced (I use Granny Smith)
1 cup white grapes, halved
1 cup nuts, chopped
 
Directions
Rinse frozen cranberries under cold running water to wash off any loose stems.
 
Grind or chop frozen cranberries using a food process or BLENDER! I use my Magic Bullet.
 
Put chopped cranberries in a large bowl and add sugar.  Thoroughly mix by hand and refrigerate OVERNIGHT!
 
Before serving, whip the 1/2 pint of whipping cream in a separate bowl until peaks form. Usually Matt is in charge of this, but he was gone hunting so I pulled out the 'ole Kitchenade.
 
Here we are waiting for peaks to form. AR was sampling the grapes as we waited. I was lucky there were enough grapes to put in the salad!
DSC_6427
Fold whipped cream into the cranberry-sugar mixture.

Add the marshmallows, apples, grapes, and nuts.

I mix the fruits first.
DSC_6428
Then I add the nuts and marshmallows. I had the 'mallows sitting on the table the night before and AR saw them. I had to hide them, because she kept bringing them to me wanting to open them. She was so excited when I got them out to put in. She was a big helper though and stirring in the nuts before devouring the stack of marshmallows I put on the counter for her.
DSC_6431
Finished product!
DSC_6466
I let it sit in the fridge for a couple hours, but it's fine if you don't have time to do that. Serve and enjoy!

No comments :