Wednesday, November 27, 2013

I Cooked a Turkey!!!

...It was purely by accident. I'm lucky it was a turkey and not a chicken and I'm not even sure I can really say I cooked it since I put it in a crockpot. Either way, I'm taking credit for it and it turned out pretty awesome if I do say so myself!
 
Last Friday, I was at the grocery store looking for a four pound turkey breast to cook for Toddler Thanksgiving. I'm hanging out in the freezer section, trying to find the smallest one I can. I hold up what I think is a turkey and ask the guy stocking turkeys, "Do you have any smaller turkeys?" He looks at me and says, "That's a chicken." Oops!
 
I move to the section he tells me is turkey breasts. I'm digging through them looking for a 4 pounder and all I can find is eight. Sigh, well, I guess we'll go an entire week eating turkey. I get home, leave it in the sink to thaw and right before bed, around 9:30pm, I open what I think is just a turkey breast to discover it's a full on turkey with a bag of innards and everything!
 
I fill the bottom of my crockpot with water. Salt and pepper the monster, sprinkle French onion soup mix on top and dump on a stick of melted butter. I tried to put the lid on, but the turkey was too big so it just sat on top. I went to bed and hoped for the best.
 
I woke up at 4am to the aroma of Thanksgiving morning. I laid in bed and thought, hey, this might actually work out. When AR and I got up at 6:30am, I went in and we saw the juiciest bird sitting in our crockpot.
DSC_6457
We turned it off around 8am (so 9:30pm-8am on low). Then around 10:30am, I pulled all the meat off the bird, put it back in the juices and let it warm until lunchtime at noon. It was ah-muh-zing! So juicy and moist, it was all that AR ate.
DSC_6458
So there you have it folks, I cooked a turkey, on accident, and it turned out GREAT! Now here's a bonus recipe for you so you have a dish to go with it.
 
Crockpot Corn
Ingredients
2 large bags frozen corn
1 (8 oz) cream cheese
2 T. sugar
6 T. water
1 stick butter
Directions
Cook in crockpot 4 hours n low.  Stir and cook on high for 2 hours.
 
Gobble, gobble and enjoy!
 


4 comments :

Liz said...

That turkey was delish!! Great job, especially for your first time!

Sara McCarty said...

Your turkey was AMAZING!!! I can't believe you did that in the crockpot. I'm totally doing that next year so we can have our own little turkey. Thank you again for having us over! It was such a great play date!

Julie said...

Toddler Thanksgiving?

Unknown said...

Great job! Sometimes the best things in life turn out by accident :)